lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: IndexModifier's docCount is inconsistent
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2007 18:55:12 GMT
I have actually added a method to get the number of deleted documents to all *Reader classes
just the other day.  I'll provide a patch soon.  It still won't make the IndexWriter aware
of deletes, but will that help you?

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Cheolgoo Kang <appler@gmail.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Friday, April 6, 2007 10:40:52 AM
Subject: IndexModifier's docCount is inconsistent

When we use IndexModifier's docCount() method, it calls it's
underlying IndexReader's numDocs() or IndexWriter's docCount() method.
Here is the problem that IndexReader.numDocs() cares about deleted
documents, but IndexWriter.docCount() ignores it.

So, I've made some modifications in IndexWriter.docCount() and added
SegmentInfo.getDeletedDocCount() to read the number of deleted docs as
in IndexReader. It works great in my application but I'm not sure it's
a right way to handle this.

I found that there is no dependencies using docCount() method anywhere
in lucene trunk except several test cases. If it was a intended
behavior, it's okay but IndexWriter should have provided a method like
deletedNumDocs().

Any comments?

--
Cheolgoo