lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Guther <a.gut...@guther.com>
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 05:07:41 GMT

I am currently dealing with lucene indexes of the size of 8 GIG.  Searching
is fast but retrieving documents slow down the process of returning results
to the user.  Also the index is updated very frequently, about 3 times a
minute and more.  This leads to an index that grows very fast in number of
index files.  I have also multiple indexes Lucene has to search accross with
the Multiple Index Searcher.

I wonder what index size other people deal with and what kind of
recommendation one can give to deal with such a size.

Should I try to avoid too many updates?

Also the optimizing process seems to take a long time (I have seen
optimization time up to two hours.

Thanks for any help and hints.

Andreas