lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Nilesh Bansal" <nileshban...@gmail.com>
Subject Lock files in a read-only application
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:09:06 GMT
Hi all,

We have a web-based application that searches a large lucene index.
This application only creates object of type IndexSearcher only (and
no IndexWriters) for searching the index. After the application runs
for some time (a few hours), I can see lock files in the temp
directory of the form
/opt/tomcat/temp/lucene-5f77ffdc821b3f8e861949e9ecc35a53-commit.lock
The temp dir is set to /opt/tomcat/temp/ as we are using tomcat.

Since the application is read-only, there is no point in it using the
lock files. These lock files are creating a lot of trouble for me, as
their presence leads to a lock obtained timeout in other threads. It
seems like a bug in lucene.

The index is updated be a separate process independent of the
web-application once in a while. Currently I am using an independent
shell script that checks for the temp dir for lock files every few
seconds and deletes the lock files if any (to prevent a lock obtained
timeout in other threads).

Any help will be appreciated.

thanks
Nilesh Bansal.