lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Peter Keegan" <peterlkee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Ranking/scoring
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 14:27:17 GMT
I'm looking at how ReciprocalFloatFuncion and ReverseOrdFieldSource can be
used to rank documents by score and date (solr.search.function contains
great stuff!). The values in the date field that are used for the
ValueSource are not actually used as 'floats', but rather their ordinal term
values from the FieldCache string index. This means that if the 'date' field
has 3000 unique string 'values' in the index, the values for 'x' in
ReciprocalFloatFuncion could be 0-2999. So if I want the most recent 'date'
to return a score of 1.0, one could set 'a' and 'b' in the function to
2999.

Do I have this right? I got bit confused at first because I assumed that the
actual field values were being used in the computation, but you really need
to know the unique term count in order to get the score 'right'.

By the way, as I try to get my head around the Score, Weight, and Boolean*
classes (and next(), skipTo()), I nominate these for discussion in Lucene In
Action II.

Peter