lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From rubdabadub <rubdaba...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: bzr branches for Apache Lucene/Nutch/Solr/Hadoop at Launchpad
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:16:43 GMT
On 3/22/07, Grant Ingersoll <grant.ingersoll@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice idea and I can see the benefit of it to you and I don't mean to
> be a wet blanket on it, I just wonder about the legality of it.
> People may find it and think it is the official Apache Lucene, since
> it is branded that way.  I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know for sure.
> I think you have the right to store and use the code, even create a
> whole other search product based solely on Lucene (I think), I just
> don't know about this kind of thing.  In some sense it is like
> mirroring, but that fact that you can commit w/ out going through the

NO NO!! I don't make any commits to apache trunk. Nor any one else
for that matter. The repo at launchpad is just a pure mirror and will
always be a mirror.

Just to clarify what I meant by commit. Basically you "pull" the Lucene
branch from launchpad to your local machine and that becomes a
complete copy of the trunk and you make another local branch from
that branch. Example

bzr branch http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/lucene/trunk local.copy
bzr branch local.copy local.customerx

then you do all your work on local.customerx and make commits there. Cos you
want to keep the local.copy exactly identical to lanuchpad version
which in turns
a mirror like any other mirror that apache have thats all. If I were
to commit things
to the launchpad version I loose the whole point of mirroring and
getting changes
from trunk.

> Apache process makes me think that others coming upon the code will
> be mislead about what's in it.  The site _definitely_ makes it look
> like Launchpad is the home for Lucene with the intro and the bug
> tracking, etc, even though we all know this site will rank further
> down in the SERPs than the main site.

I am not a lawyer or branding expert. But if you want me to edit the description
text with something like "A mirrored copy of Apache Lucene.. original
site at..."
No problem Please provide me the exact text so I can edit it to avoid confusion
etc.. Last thing I want to do is create confusion.

Moreover if such need like mine exist maybe Apache Infrastructure
should consider
a DRCS system then a RCS system .. SVN doesn't provide the flexibility
that I need.
In apache there is CVS and SVN co-exist as well as there are mirrors
of such all
over the world so.. why not have a bzr branch? if Launchpad want to
host it great
if other mirror wants to host it great.

I hope it clarifies misunderstanding.. Please do provide an exact text
so we don't
get into some lawyer trouble :-) I don't want to take a stab on the
text its better you
provide me exact instructions.

Regards.