lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Walt Stoneburner" <>
Subject Search vs. Rank
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:18:39 GMT
Most search engine technologies return result sets based some weighted
frequency of the search terms found.  I've got a new problem, I want to rank
by different criteria than I searched for.

For example, I might want to return as my result set all documents that
contain the word pizza, but rank them according to topping preferences (with
garlic at the top and goat cheese at the bottom).

Two questions.

1) Does Lucene allow one to mandatorily search for a term, but provide it
zero weight, while allowing other terms to have zero influence on the result
set, but affect their order?

I'm thinking something like  +pizza^0 garlic^1 "goat cheese"^-1

The concern is that I don't want any results that happen to mention garlic
or goat cheese except in the context of pizza.

2) Once I have this list of results, can I change their rank order without
having to do a full scale search again?