lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "sandeep chawla" <sand.cha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Synonyms and Aliases query
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:54:03 GMT
in a synonym Engine...

suppose  synonyms of word x is syn(x)...

then if  y = syn(x) then  x = syn(y)  doesn't hold true always  .....(
you might not get any synonyms of y..it depends on the data of synonym
engine)

so your synonym engine might be providing alias of bob as  robert,
rob, bobby... so when you search for bob, you are getting results
which contain robert,rob,bobby etc ( I am assuming that you are using
the synonymanalyzer for parsing the queries not for building the index
because if u r using synonymanalyzer for building the index, it
reduces the performance by a great degree)

When u r searching for robert and your synonym engine doesn't provide
any synonyms for roberts as bob, bobby ...you will not get the desired
result  so you need to rewrite your engine so that it satisfies the
above condition

On 27/03/07, daveburns <dave_m_burns@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> afriad I'm a noobie at Luncene but read Otis/Eriks book and was hoping
> someone can answer a quick question on the AliasAnalyzer (Chap 4). I want to
> build a search for names (Companies/surname, firstname etc) but need to
> match thing s like
> Robert= bob, bobby, rob etc (or margaret=peggy etc).
>
> 1) The problem is my search returns all Robert or Bob hit's if I search on
> bob but if I search on Robert only Robert hits come back. I though the index
> would automatically provide my required 2-way matching?
>
> 2) The second problem is to do with Company names. Can I create the above
> alias analyzer to match I.B.M=IBM=International Business Machines? i.e.
> multiple words to a single word.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave.
> --