lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: search timeout
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:39:28 GMT

: > this is something anyone using the Lucene API can do as long as they use a
: > HitCollector ... the Nutch impl seems to ctually spin up a seperate thread
: >
:
: I'm keen to understand the pros and cons of these two approaches.

to clarify, it's really just one approach, with an extension: Nutch is
still "timingout" the underlying Lucene calls by using a HitCollector --
it's just extending the basic concept to use a Timer thread to abort at
the timeout without waiting for a collect call to notice that too much
time has elapsed.

This Timer version Nutch is using certainly seems like a more robust and
elegent approach to me ... i'm just shy about spining up Threads ... i
think it stems from making lots of disasterous multithreading mistakes in
C code when i was a foolish young engineer.

-Hoss