lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject RE: Plural word search
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 18:10:32 GMT

: Thanks for quick response. Is there any code example i can take look? I'm
: not familiar with the technique you mentioned. My question is how the
: analyzer knows "buss" is not a plural and bears is a plural.

Stemming is a vast topic of text analysis .. some stemmers work using
dictionaries, some based on algorithmic appraoches ... almost any Stemmer
you can imagine can be implimented as a ToeknFilter in Lucene -- and a few
already are out of the box.

You might wnat to read up a little bit on the different Stemming
approaches out there (google: "stemming") and then take a look at some of
the Lucene analysis classes that provide implementations.

-Hoss