lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: IndexSearcher cache
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 00:06:46 GMT

: initialized... I tried to create a seacher everytime but that lead me to
: the Too-Many-Files-Open exception. So no matter what I do I face a show
: stopper.

were you closing the old searcher before opening the new one?

even if that was the cause of your problem, i still wouldn't recomend
reopening the IndexSearcher on every single operation -- at least not
unless you are dealing with a single user application ... the performance
issues involved with opening a new IndexSearcher for every search may be
just as bad as opening a new IndexSearcher on every modification if you
are getting modifications often enough.

use a timed model where you reopen a new INdexSearcher every N seconds if
the index has been modified since the current one was opened.

-Hoss