lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas K. Burkholder" <burkh...@apple.com>
Subject Fast index traversal and update for stored field?
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:37:17 GMT
Hi there,

I'm using lucene to index and store entries from a database table for
ultimate retrieval as search results.  This works fine.  But I find
myself in the position of wanting to occasionally (daily-ish) bulk-
update a single, stored, non-indexed field in every document in the
index, without changing any indexed value at all.

The obviously documented way to do this would be to remove and then
re-add each updated document successively.  However, I know from
experience that rebuilding our index from scratch in this fashion
would take several hours at least, which is too long to delay pending
incremental index jobs.  It seems to me that at some level it should
be possible to iterate over all the document storage on disk and
modify only the field I'm interested in (no index modification
required remember as this is a field that is stored but not
indexed).  It's plain from the documentation on file formats that it
would be potentially possible to do this from a low level, however
before I go possibly re-inventing that wheel, I'm wondering if anyone
knows of any existing code out there that would aid in solving this
problem.

Thanks in advance,

//Thomas
Thomas K. Burkholder