lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <grant.ingers...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: bzr branches for Apache Lucene/Nutch/Solr/Hadoop at Launchpad
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:59:29 GMT
Nice idea and I can see the benefit of it to you and I don't mean to
be a wet blanket on it, I just wonder about the legality of it.
People may find it and think it is the official Apache Lucene, since
it is branded that way.  I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know for sure.
I think you have the right to store and use the code, even create a
whole other search product based solely on Lucene (I think), I just
don't know about this kind of thing.  In some sense it is like
mirroring, but that fact that you can commit w/ out going through the
Apache process makes me think that others coming upon the code will
be mislead about what's in it.  The site _definitely_ makes it look
like Launchpad is the home for Lucene with the intro and the bug
tracking, etc, even though we all know this site will rank further
down in the SERPs than the main site.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding?

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.grantingersoll.com/