lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Peter W." <pe...@marketingbrokers.com>
Subject Re: How to customize scoring using user feedback?
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 03:28:49 GMT
Hello,

This is not currently in Lucene.

Sounds like you are looking for a voting
system to generate float scores that would be
inserted as a sortable field at index time.

Gathering user feedback on search results is
hard because you need to introduce a layer
which logs the click then redirects to the
destination.

Try this: Encode your search results with a
unique id which also points to a another app.
Log votes w/app then deliver actual results.

Set a user cookie with each vote and id,
including application logic to help prevent
abuse and/or duplicates.

Next, use your logs to see what was clicked
and generate a float score tally. Prepare a
sortable String, suitable for Lucene indexing
using Numbertools or Numberutils in Solr.

Finally, index all documents with a field
named "votes" and your converted scores.

When it comes to searching, build your
regular query, adding a Sort Object and
passing in an array of SortFields with
"votes" as type SortField.STRING first.