lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "SK R" <rsk....@gmail.com>
Subject MergeFactor and MaxBufferedDocs value should ...?
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 06:51:04 GMT
Hi,
    I've looked the uses of MergeFactor and MaxBufferedDocs.

    If I set MergeFactor = 100 and MaxBufferedDocs=250 , then first 100
segments will be merged in RAMDir when 100 docs arrived. At the end of 350th
doc added to writer , RAMDir have 2 merged segment files + 50 seperate
segment files not merged together and these are flushed to FSDir.

    If wrong, please correct me.

    My doubt is whether we should set MergeFactor & MaxBufferedDocs in
proportional ratio (i.e) MaxBufferedDocs = n*MergeFactor where n = 1,2 ...
to reduce indexing time and get greater performance or no need to worry
about it's relation?

Thanks & Regards
RSK