lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Antony Bowesman <...@teamware.com>
Subject Re: Scores from HitCollector
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2007 21:17:13 GMT
Erick Erickson wrote:
> I wound up using a TopDocs instead, which has a getMaxScore that
> I was able to use to normalize scores to between 0 and 1. In my case
> I was collapsing the results into quintiles, so I threw them all
> back into a FieldSortedHitQueue to get them sorted by secondary
> criteria once the scores were all one of 5 discrete values....

My HitCollector is a variant of TopDocCollector and I have max score.  I found
where Hits does the normalisation in Hits.getMoreDocs().  It simply multiplies
all scores by (1/maxScore).

I was looking too deep down around the Scorer...

Can anyone say why this is useful and what's wrong about raw scores?

Thanks
Antony