lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: bzr branches for Apache Lucene/Nutch/Solr/Hadoop at Launchpad
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:07:30 GMT
rubdabadub wrote:
> On 3/22/07, Grant Ingersoll <grant.ingersoll@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nice idea and I can see the benefit of it to you and I don't mean to
>> be a wet blanket on it, I just wonder about the legality of it.

So long as it meets the Apache license conditions regarding the
distribution it's not forbidden. It could be confusing or superfluous,
but it couldn't be illegal.

>> People may find it and think it is the official Apache Lucene, since
>> it is branded that way.  I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know for sure.
>> I think you have the right to store and use the code, even create a
>> whole other search product based solely on Lucene (I think), I just
>> don't know about this kind of thing.  In some sense it is like
>> mirroring, but that fact that you can commit w/ out going through the
>
> NO NO!! I don't make any commits to apache trunk. Nor any one else
> for that matter. The repo at launchpad is just a pure mirror and will
> always be a mirror.

Actually, I often find myself in a similar situation to "rubdabadub".
I'm working on several commercial projects that use and modify
Lucene/Nutch, and often such modifications are proprietary (about
equally often they are not, and are submitted as patches).

Over time, the issue of tracking the vendor source tree and merging from
that tree (per svnbook) to several different private svn repos becomes a
tricky and time-consuming business ... I'd welcome any improvements here.

It seems I need to find some time to get more familiar with bzr ...

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><