lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From markharw00d <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: search timeout
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2007 09:07:22 GMT
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> this is something anyone using the Lucene API can do as long as they use a
> HitCollector ... the Nutch impl seems to ctually spin up a seperate thread

I'm keen to understand the pros and cons of these two approaches.

With the HitCollector approach is this just engineering a fall at the
final hurdle? It could be that long running queries spend all their time
doing edit-distance comparisions for a a fuzzy boolean query, say  or
reading TermDocs for a large range filter to create a BitSet only to be
aborted at the collection stage?
Another point - I noticed in some basic timing tests that calling
System.currentTimeMillis() in a tight loop like for *every* call to
HitCollector.collect(..) could add reasonable overhead so you probably
only want to call this for every nth document collected when testing
execution times.

Cheers
Mark