lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Antony Bowesman <...@teamware.com>
Subject Re: Caching of BitSets from filters and Query.equals()
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 11:35:14 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> Have a look at the CachingWrappingFilter:
>
>     <http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/search/CachingWrapperFilter.html>

> It caches filters by IndexReader instance.

Doesn't that still have the same issue in terms of equality of conditions that
created the filter.  If I have conditions that filter Term X, then the cached
Filter is only valid for new requests for Term X.  Term equality is defined by
the Javadocs as having the same Field and Text, but to cache a Query, its
equality must be deterministic in a similar way, but it isn't.

I was hoping that Query.equals() would be defined so that equality would be
based on the results that Query generates for a given reader.

I'm hosting an indexing framework, so I've no idea what searches or filters a
caller will want to perform.

Antony