lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IndexSearcher cache
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 23:37:14 GMT
My two cents:

Lucene often offers the least common denominator...for example: out of
the box, Lucene best handles either a single user / single thread
experience or a mostly 'read only' experience. I believe that the main
reason for this is that it serves the greatest variety uses. You can,
and people have, put a layer on top of Lucene's simple abstractions to
handle a very interactive index that must serve many threads.

One of your best options is Solr. Solr (among many, many other things)
handles opening and closing Readers and Searchers for you in order to
maintain a lively index. Throw in all of the caching, distribution, and
schema options and its hard to argue that you shouldn't always use this
for a multi user interactive index.

Another option is: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-390

I don't think this option has gotten the attention it deserves. If you
are not interested in Solr, or your requirements are not quite as steep,
390 is a great tool. 390 will correctly manage Directories, Readers,
Writers, and Searchers in a way that allows any index modifications to
trigger the reopening of Readers. Making sure there is only one Writer
and so forth is handled for you. There are a lot of enhancements you can
make to this cool little issue and it is also very easy to integrate
into a current solution.

- Mark