lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Steven Parkes" <steven_par...@esseff.org>
Subject RE: Wildcard searches with * or ? as the first character
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:38:34 GMT
It's possible to do leading wildcard searches in Lucene as of 2.1. See
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#head-4d62118417eaef0dcb87f4370583f809848ea695
(http://tinyurl.com/366suf)

-----Original Message-----
From: Oystein Reigem [mailto:oystein.reigem@aksis.uib.no]
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 11:31 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Wildcard searches with * or ? as the first character

Hi,

I have read that with Lucene it is not possible to do wildcard searches
with * or ? as the first character. Wildcard searches with * as the
first character (or both first and last character) are useful for text
in languages that have a lot of compound words, like German and the
Scandinavian languages.

Some systems do offer such searches, but at a penalty. I assume such
systems sometimes do a sequential search of the text, which is slow, and
sometimes a sequential search of an index, which might be a bit faster,
but still quite slow.

But a slow search might be better than no search, as long as the user is
aware of the consequences of doing wildcard searches starting with a
wildcard character.

Any comments?

Cheers,

- Øystein -

--
Øystein Reigem, The department of culture, language and information technology (Aksis), Allegt
27, N-5007 Bergen, Norway. Tel: +47 55 58 32 42. Fax: +47 55 58 94 70. E-mail: <oystein.reigem@aksis.uib.no>.