lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Issue while parsing XML files due to control characters, help appreciated.
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:29:05 GMT
See below...

On 3/17/07, Lokeya <lokeya@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to index the content from XML files which are basically the
> metadata collected from a website which have a huge collection of
> documents.
> This metadata xml has control characters which causes errors while trying
> parse using the DOM parser. I tried to use encoding = UTF-8 but looks like
> it doesn't cover all the unicode characters and I get error. Also when I
> tried to use UTF-16, I am getting Prolog content not allowed here. So my
> guess is there is no enoding which is going to cover almost all unicode
> characters. So I tried to split my metadata files into small files and
> processing records which doesnt throw parsing error.
>
> But by breaking metadata file into smaller files I get, 10,000 xml files
> per
> metadata file. I have 70 metadata files, so altogether it becomes 7,00,000
> files. Processing them individually takes really long time using Lucene,
> my
> guess is I/O is time consuing, like opening every small xml file loading
> in
> DOM extracting required data and processing.

So why don't you measure and find out before trying to make the indexing
step more efficient? You simply cannot optimize without knowing where
you're spending your time. I can't tell you how often I've been wrong about
"why my program was slow" <G>.

In this case, it should be really simple. Just comment out the part where
you index the data and run, say, one of your metadata files.. I suspect that
Cheolgoo Kang's response is cogent, and you indeed are spending your
time parsing the XML. I further suspect that the problem is not disk IO,
but the time spent parsing. But until you measure, you have no clue
whether you should mess around with the Lucene parameters, or find
another parser, or just live with it.. Assuming that you comment out
Lucene and things are still slow, the next step would be to just read in
each file and NOT parse it to figure out whether it's the IO or the parsing.

Then you can worry about how to fix it..

Best
Erick

Qn  1: Any suggestion to get this indexing time reduced? It would be really