lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: date range querys
Date Sun, 11 Mar 2007 16:20:00 GMT
Search the mail archive for DateRange, Date, DateTools
ConstantScoreRangeQuery, etc and you'll find a wealth of
discussion on dates, which turn out to be
more complex than you think <G>...

But the first thing I'd think about is your resolution. Understand
that range queries may assemble a giant OR query for all
the values in your index that fall in the range. Also remember
that dates are simply strings, they aren't a distinct data type.

So, it looks from your example like you're storing your dates with
varying resolutions, and possibly assembling far larger queries
than you think.

I suspect that if you stored your dates (use DateTools) as strings
with a resolution of a day you'd get much faster queries, assuming
that this is fine enough for your app.

Best
Erick