lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Indexing & search?
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 16:02:26 GMT
You could analyze all the documents returned in your query to see
if the "other fields" match. That is, could cycle through each
document returned in, say, a hits object to see if f1 actually matches.

This is almost certainly NOT what you want to do. Do you have any
clue whether saving the space is actually worth it? How big to
you expect your index to be? Disk space is cheap, and Lucene
handles pretty big indexes well. For instance, I've found that the
search time in a 4G index is, maybe, 10-15% faster than an 8G
index. So unless and until you *know*
there's a problem, you should index all the fields you want to search
on, keeping the design as simple as possible. Only after you *know*
there's a problem should you consider efficiencies....

Best
Erick