lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Soliciting Design Thoughts on Date Searching
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 18:17:42 GMT
See below...

On 3/5/07, Walt Stoneburner <walt.stoneburner@gmail.com> wrote:

> Erick / Steve,
>
> Thank you both (as well as everyone else who weighed in) on helping get to
> a far more optimal solution well before any code was ever slung.
>
> Since we all know that someone else is going to find this in the archives
> some day, I'd like to unveil the rest of my ignorance and misconceptions,
> on
> the off chance that others following in these footsteps may be under the
> same delusions about how Lucene operates under the hood.  Please forgive
> any
> moronic questions, no matter how gross in error.
>
> First, the very existence of the DateField in past versions of Lucene
> subtly gave me the impression that Lucene was actually data-type
> aware.  So
> its sudden deprecation was a shocking loss.  What I quickly gathered was
> that DateField was nothing more than a helper class, and that it's only
> function in the universe was to inject properly formatted text dates into
> the token stream.  If I'm mistaken or have a nuance wrong, please correct
> me, as big errors compound from little misunderstandings.

Right on as far as I understand. And DateTools is the preferred class now.

> Second, and along the same lines because of the data-type goof, I was
> operating under the impression that a document hand a single token stream
> and that the meta data (the other fields) that were added to the documents
> were name/value pairs (e.g. creation date, version number, author name).
> What I'm picking up is that each field is its own token stream, and this
> is
> why I can have a list of dates.  Am I still on track so far?

Sure looks good to me. This notion goes pretty deep. For instance, have
you looked at PerFieldAnalyzerWrapper? With that class, you can
specify different analyzers for each field (and establish a default Analyzer
for fields you don't specify). Both at index time and query time. So you
can specify, say, your customized DateAnalyzer for field a, StandardAnalyzer
for field b and by specifying WhitespaceAnalyzer as a default have that
used for fields c, d, e, ..... I mention this as another window into how
many token streams you can think of in a document. One per field works
for me.

And then there are stored but not indexed fields. So your comment about
field/data pairs is almost right, but not in the way you meant. If I add
a field to a document as Field.Store.YES, Field.Index.NO, I can't search
on the field, but I can get the value back from the document. Skipping
COMPRESSED, UN_TOKENIZED, etc and just thinking of the 2x2
matrix of Stored.YES/NO, Indexed.TOKENIZED/NO, you can see
that there are four kinds of data.
Stored.YES Index.TOKENIZED you can search AND retrieve from the doc
NO/TOKENIZED search but the document won't have it
YES/NO you can't search,but you can get it from a document. Say a properly
capitalized title.
NO/NO really doesn't make much sense.

> Third, I read from the documentation that the .add() method is simply
> appending.  At this point, I'm wondering if add is doing tokenizing at
> each
> add(), or when the document is indexed.  This is a matter of slight
> importance, especially if one's understanding of the token stream is a
> little shaky.
>
> Document's add() method is described like this:  "Several fields may be
> added with the same name. In this case, if the fields are indexed, their
> text is treated as though appended for the purposes of search."  The catch
> here is in understanding the behavior of "append".  Lucene's documentation
> would benefit from an example.
>
> document.add( Field.Text("somefield", "hot" ) );
> document.add( Field.Text("somefield", "dog" ) );
>
> Did I just add "hotdog" to my document, or two tokens, "hot" and "dog"?

You just added "hot" at offset 0 and "dog" at offset 1. You won't get a hit
for
"hotdog". There is one subtlte point here though, just to confuse you. Each
time you call call to document.add() you have the chance (but not the
obligation) to affect the offset. See getPositionIncrementGap(). So, in your
example, you have the chance to have "hot" at postion 0 and "dog" at postion
10,000. Why should you care? Because sometimes it's useful <G>. Imagine
indexing the contents of a book and using SpanNear queries to find Erick
and Erickson within 10 terms of each other. I can call document.add for each
page
of text and find Erick as the last term on one page and Erickson on the
first line of the next page. But it doesn't fit my desired behavior to have
Erick as the last term in a chapter, and Erickson as the first term of the
next chapter be a hit. So I can set the IncrementGap to 1,000 for the first
page of each chapter at index time.

> The reason this is important to wrap one's mind around is when adding
> multiple dates.  It had been suggested that I add dates with a separator.
>
> document.add( Field.Text("interestingdates", "17760704,20010911,20070305"
> )
> );
>
> If add() is tokening up front, then three calls would be the logical
> equivalent, and I wouldn't need to artificially add separators while doing
> looping construct.
>
> document.add( Field.Text("interestingdates", "17760704" ) );
> document.add( Field.Text("interestingdates", "20010911" ) );
> document.add( Field.Text("interestingdates", "20070305" ) );
>
> Are the three adds shown here the same as the one large add above `with
> commas to Lucene?

Yes, ASSUMING you use a tokenizer that splits the input stream for
that field on commas. And throws them away.
This last may seem nit-picking, but it's actually
important. WhitspaceAnalyzer would NOT produce equivalent indexing
for instance since (let's assume that there are no spaces in your example)
WhitespaceAnalyzer would produce only one token. Or if there is a space
after each comma, WhitespaceAnalyzer would produce
17760704,
20010911,
20070305
as tokens (note the comma in the first two). Which would actually
work at least part of the time but you'd sort kinda weird <G>...

Really, really, really get a copy of Luke and play around with examining
the effects of different analyzers on your index (google Luke Lucene). It'll
also help you see how queries parse using different analyzers. It's
invaluable.

>   And finally, the question that pulls all three of these diverse issues
> together:  If Lucene is really just looking a stream of tokenified text,
> and
> dates/text are tokens no different from one another, and I can inject
> properly formatted dates into the stream without requiring an honest to
> goodness data type or artificial list -- what would prevent one from
> detecting a date looking "thing" in a stream and injecting a date-looking
> token at that place in the document?

Nothing.

For example, if "December 25th, 2007" was in the text stream, replace that
> block of text with "20071225" and let the tokenizer do its thing as
> normal,
> none the wiser.  In theory, wouldn't this let the user be able to search
> the
> regular text body for words and dates at the same time?

Yes, assuming you did the same thing with the query string. You'd have
to transform December 25th, 2007 into 20071225 at query time as well.

But, letting it stay in the text stream and not putting it in a separate
date
field would give you some trouble with ranges because things that
weren't dates could mess you up. But that's a question of intended
behavior of the app that only you can answer. For instance, the token
1weird would be in the range of dates between 1900 and 2000. So a
search on date ranges would generate a false hit.

What I'm hoping you'll say is, yes, you could do that, ...but you wouldn't
> want to for performance reasons.

Performance, well, only measurement can tell. But I predict you don't
want to do such a thing for behavior reasons, so performance doesn't
even enter into it yet <G>.

But I suspect you're at the point more design will get in your way.
I think you can put together simple index/search applications in
1/2 day, get Luke (google Luke, lucene), and experiment and
get a much better feel for what all this means now that you have
noodled on it for a while. Much of what people have said still probably
sounds like gibberish, but looking at the results will generate
"ahhhh, *that's* what they meant" moments...

Best
Erick

Thanks again,