lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <paul.elsc...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: Negative Filtering (such as for profanity)
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 21:41:16 GMT
On Wednesday 07 March 2007 16:07, Greg Gershman wrote:
> I'm attempting to create a profanity filter.  I thought to use a QueryFilter
created with a Query of (-$#!+ AND -@#$% AND etc).  The problem I have run
into is that, as a pure negative query is not supported (a query for (-term)
DOES NOT return the inverse of a query for (term)), I believe the bit set
returned by a purely negative QueryFilter is empty, so no matter how many
results returned by the initial query, the result after filtering is always
zero documents.

It may have been suggested already: you can create a Filter
for the positive Query, and then invert the bits in the BitSet of the Filter
to have negative filtering.

Regards,
Paul Elschot