lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Michael McCandless" <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: MergeFactor and MaxBufferedDocs value should ...?
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:23:20 GMT

"SK R" <rsk.sen@gmail.com> wrote:
>      1.When will be the segments in RAMDirectory moved (flushed) in to
> FSDirectory?

This is maxBufferedDocs.  Right now, every added doc creates its own
segment in the RAMDir.  After maxBufferedDocs, all of these single
documents are merged and flushed to a single segment in FSDir.

This is actually not really a very efficient way for IndexWriter to
use RAM.  I'm working on improving this / speeding it up under this
Jira issue:

But it will be some time before this is stable & released!

>      2.Segments creation by maxBufferedDocs occur in RAMDir.

Actually, no.  The segments created due to maxBufferedDocs are in FSDir.

> Where merge by MergeFactor happen? whether in RAMDir or FSDir?

This is always in FSDir.

Mike