lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Simon Willnauer" <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Increase performance using Pool of IndexSearchers?
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 19:49:23 GMT
On 2/7/07, spamsucks <spamsucks@rhoderunner.com> wrote:
> I currently am sharing my IndexSearcher across multiple requests as a static
> object.
static or not a single / shared searcher is a good idea.

> While I understand that the IndexSearcher is threadsafe, this does not
> necessarily mean that it's multi-threaded capable.  I was wondering if there
> is any thread blocking going on between requests?
No there are no blocking method as long as you use your Searcher e.g.
the IndexReader for reading/searching. IndexReader has several
synchronized methods but these are write access methods and commit.

> Would it improve performance to create a pool of IndexSearchers?
As far as I know no! It would rather slow down you app. while you have
to open the index and warm up caches if you have updates or deletes
you want to make visible for searching.

best regards Simon