lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NO_NORMS and TOKENIZED?
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 16:45:36 GMT
On 2/19/07, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> At present, KS doesn't let you do something like that -- you have to
> define all your fields up front.  What I'd like to do is come up with
> a FieldDef subclass that handles multi-dimensional data.  I seem to
> recall that Solr had something along those lines, using prefixed
> field names or something.  Do I recall correctly?

Yes, Solr does a simple prefix or suffix match.
Solr looks up field type for a field in a Map<String,SchemaField>, and
if it doesn't find it, it checks it's "dynamic fields".  If a dynamic
field is found, the SchemaField for it (a template) is quickly cloned,
with only the name being appropriately changed.

Normal field definition (the type attribute refers to another part of
schema.xml):
   <field name="text" type="text" indexed="true" stored="false"
multiValued="true"/>

Dynamic field definitions:
   <!-- Dynamic field definitions.  If a field name is not found, dynamicFields
        will be used if the name matches any of the patterns.
        RESTRICTION: the glob-like pattern in the name attribute must have
        a "*" only at the start or the end.
        EXAMPLE:  name="*_i" will match any field ending in _i (like
myid_i, z_i)
        Longer patterns will be matched first.  if equal size patterns
        both match, the first appearing in the schema will be used.  -->
   <dynamicField name="*_i"  type="sint"    indexed="true"  stored="true"/>
   <dynamicField name="*_s"  type="string"  indexed="true"  stored="true"/>
   <dynamicField name="*_l"  type="slong"   indexed="true"  stored="true"/>
   <dynamicField name="*_t"  type="text"    indexed="true"  stored="true"/>
   <dynamicField name="*_b"  type="boolean" indexed="true"  stored="true"/>
   <dynamicField name="*_f"  type="sfloat"  indexed="true"  stored="true"/>
   <dynamicField name="*_d"  type="sdouble" indexed="true"  stored="true"/>
   <dynamicField name="*_dt" type="date"    indexed="true"  stored="true"/>

If I had to do it over again, I'd be tempted to further restrict the
patterns so that they could be looked up from a Map rather than
linearly.  This hasn't proved to be a problem so far though, as the
number of field-types for dynamic fields normally remains small.

-Yonik