lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: indexing performance
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:28:34 GMT
:
: > I am trying to index the syslogs generated from one of my busy ftp
: > server so
: > that I can get counts specific to an user with the given time
: > frame. Since

: My immediate thought when reading this is if it really is a text
: search engine you want to use for this?

ditto ... if you aren't going to be using Lucene for anything more then
lookups by username finding yourself an extremely fast database that
doens't have the overhead of building a completley normalized index may be
a better way to go.

likewise if all you *really* need is counts per user withint buckets of
time, a 10 line app thta tails your log file and incriments in memory
counters flushing them to disk every few minutes would probably work to...

	...it's all a question of details.

-Hoss