lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Scoring while sorting
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 19:17:45 GMT

: > What is the point to calculate score if the result set is going to be sorted
: > by some field?

: No point, I believe, unless your sort includes relevance score.  I

...which is non trivial information to deduce, since a SortField can
contain a SortComparatorSource which uses a ScoreDocComparator which can
do anything it wants with the ScoreDoc.

If you know that you really don't care about score, you can use Filters
instead of Queries and then sort the docs represented by bits() yourself
... this is an approachSolr takes if a DocSet (Solr concept roughly equal
to a BitSet of documents) is already in the cache and you want the first N
sorted by a field.

(the heart of the jira issue Otis refered to is unifying the concepts of a
Query Scorer and a Filter into a common base class: Matcher)

-Hoss