lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Positions in SpanFirst
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:54:53 GMT

: so I thought that sounded good, but there does not seem to be a way to set it
: and most of the Analyzers just seem to use the base Analyzer method which
: returns 0, so I'm now confused as to what this actually does in practice.

by default all the analyzers return 0, but you can subclass any analyzer
(or anonymously subclass it) or write your own wrapper analyzer that
impliments it to return whatever you want.

: That's a good point.  The field is used to index mail recipients and currently
: has a "starts with" search (non Lucene implementation).  Unless I can set the
: position increment gap, it is only ever possible to search for the first indexed
: recipient with proxity queries.\

search the archives for info on "boundary" searching ... sentence or
paragraph or page ... the basic mechanism that can be used to get "starts
with" type queries where your definition of starts with doesn't match up
with the actual first term in the field is to to put a marker token in at
the begining of each value and then to a SpanNear query that starts with
it.

-Hoss