lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Returning only a small set of results
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:43:05 GMT
: A question about efficiency and the internal workings of the Hits class.
: When we make a call to IndexSearcher's search method thus:
:
: Hits hits = searcher.Search(query);
:
: Do we actually, physically get back all the results of the query even if
: there are 20 million results or for efficiency do we physically get back

the Hits class fetches back the first N result documents (where N is 100 i
think) and then it fetches more and more as needed if you ask for more.
generally speaking Hits works fine for simple pagination applications, but
if you are intented on walking deep down the list of ordred results, i
would avoid it.

-Hoss