lucene-java-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Stop long running queries
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 21:29:55 GMT


optimizing away the expensive cases is your best bet if you can do it ...
another option is to use a custom HitCollector which keeps track of how
long it's been running and throws a subclass of RUntimeException which you
explicitly catch and deal with as appropriate if the query has been taking
too long.

: Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:34:36 -0500
: From: Tim Johnson <timothy.w.johnson@saic.com>
: Reply-To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
: To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
: Subject: Stop long running queries
:
: I'm having issues with some queries taking in excess of 500 secs to run to
: completion. The system being used consists of ~100 million docs spilt up
: across ~600 indexes.  The indexes are of various sizes from 15MB to 8GB and
: all searches done in the system require an exact count of matching hits.
: The documents are also indexed with various fields and types ranging from 15
: to 200 fields depending on the data indexed.
:
: 98% of all queries run under 4 sec, but the remaining 2% run for > 15 secs
: and sometimes > 500 secs.  These long running queries usually consist of
: wildcard and range queries where the number of BooleanQuery statements
: reaches into the 100,000 range.  Some of these queries return a relatively
: small number of results (below 300).
:
: I've recently tried to kill the search using a separate thread to wrap the
: searcher.search method, which works, but only once.  The next query to come
: through throws an "IOException: The handle is invalid." in the
: FSInputStream.readInternal() method.
:
: Any suggestions on how to stop these long running queries?
:
: Tim Johnson
: SAIC
: Systems Engineer
: 757.226.1569
:
:
:
: ---------------------------------------------------------------------
: To unsubscribe, e-mail: java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
: For additional commands, e-mail: java-user-help@lucene.apache.org
:



-Hoss


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: java-user-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message