lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Question about applications using different versions of Lucene
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 01:39:32 GMT

: I have two applications that share some of the same Lucene Indexes.  I
: recently upgrade the Lucene-core.jar from v2.0 to a nightly build (Feb.
: 04, 2006 - I was looking for the IndexWriter class that allows you to
: merge indexes w/o optimizing).

Am I correct in understanding that you have two seperate applications: one
reading hte index and one writing the index and you only upgraded lucene
for the application that writes the index?

If so, this is not a supported compatibility situation, if the wiki were
up right now there is a document that explains...

   File formats are back-compatible between major versions.  Version X.N
   should be able to read indexes generated by any version after and
   including version X-1.0, but may-or-may-not be able to read indexes
   generated by version X-2.N.

...what happens is that the 2.X code in the trunk can correctly read your
2.1 index, but it modifies hte files on disk as you add documents to morph
the index format to the new 2.X format -- your seperate 2.1 application
can not read that format.

(if i'm in correct and you actually updated the lucene jar for both
applications then please clarify)

-Hoss