lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doron Cohen <DOR...@il.ibm.com>
Subject Re: indexing norms???
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:50:13 GMT
* Indexing size cost - 1 byte per field per doc

* Search time memory cost - 1 byte per field per doc

* Usage - document score normalization by the doc field
  length, and a place to hold doc/field indexing time
  boosts, also applied during scoring. (more info in
  the Scoring documentation.)

* Only maintained for indexed fields.

* For fields known to be of ~constant length, or fields used just
  for filtering or date search, it makes sense to omit norms. Almost
  for sure there are more cases that I just don't think of now,
  but you get the idea.