lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Don.Re...@BIPT.COM
Subject Re: How to return results with null values?
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:34:32 GMT
A newbie here, but I would think that fields will null value will slow
down the search as much as fields with a specific non-conflicting keyword.
 There is still a field to be looked at, even if it does not match.
Beyond that I will have to leave it to others with more background with
the tool.  I will make one suggestion though, indexing fields with
null/empty values only makes sense if you are looking for that specfic
field value.
--
Don Reese
BIPT

poeta simbolista <poetasimbolista@gmail.com>
02/07/2007 10:28 AM
Please respond to
java-user@lucene.apache.org

java-user@lucene.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: How to return results with null values?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Well, the thing is, some entries have a value on that facet, and some
others
not. It may happen that all have, all have not, and any combination within
those.

Regarding the thing of adding a field with a specific non-conflicting
keyword, wouldn't it affect the performance of the queries? Especially if
there are a lot of null values, which in my case are more than 50%.

I have a facet BitSet, would it be feasible to:
- get those IDs of the entries which have the facet. ()
- go and perform a single query foreach entry with the ID, to get the
actual
value of the facet.

Or would it be better to go through the whole index and get the values?

Thank you