lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "DECAFFMEYER MATHIEU" <MATHIEU.DECAFFMA...@fortis.lu>
Subject RE: Open & Close Reader
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:08:53 GMT
My question is what happen when a re-opening of the reader occurs and in
the same time a user does a query on the index ? And are there solutions
for this.

__________________________________
   Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael McCandless [mailto:lucene@mikemccandless.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:48 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Open & Close Reader

*****  This message comes from the Internet Network *****

<MATHIEU.DECAFFMAYER@fortis.lu> wrote:

> I need to merge indexes,
> if I want the user to see the changes (the merged indexes), I heard I
> need to close the index reader and re-open it again.

Yes.  More generally, whenever there have been changes to an index
that you want your readers/searchers to see, you need to re-open the
reader/searcher.  A reader keeps a "point in time" view of the index
as of when it was open, and will not show any changes until it is
re-opened.

> But I will need to do this avery x minutes for some reasons,
> So I wondered what could happen if user does a query just when a
re-open
> of the reader has been done.

I don't really understand this question -- could you provide more
detail here?

Mike

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Fortis Banque Luxembourg S.A. does not
accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. The information contained in
this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action
taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Nothing
in the message is capable or intended to create any legally binding obligations on either
party and it is not intended to provide legal advice.