lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Halsey, Stephen" <shal...@verisign.com>
Subject RE: Leaking org.apache.lucene.index.* objects
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2007 14:32:54 GMT
Hi Otis,

Its funny, but I'm having a memory leak with Hibernate that I spent the
whole of yesterday banging my head against a wall about and so when
searching for emails with Leak in the title came across your message.
I'm probably going to hit the same problem as you for long running
multi-threaded lucene index updates so am very interested in this.  I
found the only way to isolate the problem with Hibernate (and hence
prove it is a Hibernate-only problem) is to write a very simple test
program that recreates the problem.  Have you got a program that
recreates this, perhaps one that creates two simple indexes, creates two
threads and slams away until it runs out of memory and every loop prints
the memory using this function:-

	private static long print_mem(long last_mem_free) {
		long mem_total = Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory();
		long mem_free = Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory();
		long mem_used = mem_total - mem_free;
		long mem_max = Runtime.getRuntime().maxMemory();
		long change = (mem_free - last_mem_free);

		LOG.debug((new Date()).toString() + " mem_free= " +
mem_free
				+ " mem_total=" + mem_total
				+ " change=" + change
				+ " mem_used=" + mem_used
				+ " mem_max=" + mem_max);

		return mem_free;
	}

The trick is to make the program very fast at accumalating memory, so
you can make it run out of memory quickly and also setting java args to
-Xms10m -Xmx10m or as low as you can and have it run for a minute so
that the JVM has to quickly try and reclaim memory.  This proves that
the JVM really can't free up memory, because the JVM will accumalate
memory whenever it feels like it, and sometimes only clear up when it
feels like it.

If you can send/write this test program and post it on the forum, I'll
give it a run and try using a copy of Jprofiler I have to locate the
objects that are accumalating memory (if I can work out how to use it
properly!)

Just noticed this is from December, so may well be a bit late for
helping out?

Cheers

steve