lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Counting and Categorisation
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 14:03:35 GMT

On Feb 8, 2007, at 8:55 AM, Kainth, Sachin wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.  Since writing this I have in fact now
> implemented
> the BitSet version and it works quite successfully.  However, I
> have now
> found out that we will be dealing with millions of records and that
> for
> this reason we can not use such a solution.  Can you tell me what solr
> is as it seems to be more suited to my application?

Millions of records is fine.  The main breaking point of the BitSet-
in-Map scheme is can you cache all the BitSets for the unique facet
terms (album/artist).  And don't despair yet... if you want to dabble
with Solr's DocSet infrastructure instead of BitSets you can reduce
your memory consumption dramatically I'm sure - without having to
convert to using Solr as a web service.

	Erik