lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: bad queryparser bug
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:34:01 GMT

On Feb 1, 2007, at 5:03 PM, Peter Keegan wrote:
> OK, I see that I'm not the first to discover this behavior of
> QueryParser.
> Can anyone vouch for the integrity of the PrecedenceQueryParser here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/contrib/
> miscellaneous/src/java/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/precedence/

PrecedenceQueryParser was my tinkering attempt to make it more
logically handle precedence.  I don't recall the exact issues that
occur, though a JIRA issue was just filed with one:

    <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-792>
    "NOT foo AND baz" is parsed as "-(+foo +baz)" instead of "-foo
+bar".
    (I'm setting parser.setDefaultOperator
(PrecedenceQueryParser.AND_OPERATOR) but the issue applies otherwise
too.)

I believe the test case points out some potential issues.  In other
words, PrecedenceQueryParser is a work-in-progress that I no longer
am working on myself.  Improvements to it welcome.  Query parsing is
tricky business!

	Erik