lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kainth, Sachin" <>
Subject RE: Returning only a small set of results
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:17:52 GMT
Thanks Erick you've helped a lot and so has everyone else.

-----Original Message-----
From: Erick Erickson []
Sent: 22 February 2007 13:00
Subject: Re: Returning only a small set of results

See TopDocs, HitCollector, etc. You'll have to dig through the
documentation and try a few experiments to make sense of it all, one
sentence explanations aren't much help.

But think of Hits as a convenience class for getting the best-scoring
100 documents and use the other classes if you want to get *all* the
Don't go to the other classes unless you start getting performance
problems with Hits. The main take-away from Hits is that it'll
re-execute the query every 100 documents you read from it or so, so the
only time you care is when you find yourself assembling large numbers of