lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kainth, Sachin" <Sachin.Kai...@atkinsglobal.com>
Subject RE: Returning only a small set of results
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:01:25 GMT
What can you use in place of Hits and how do they differ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Hostetter [mailto:hossman_lucene@fucit.org]
Sent: 21 February 2007 22:43
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Returning only a small set of results

: A question about efficiency and the internal workings of the Hits
class.
: When we make a call to IndexSearcher's search method thus:
:
: Hits hits = searcher.Search(query);
:
: Do we actually, physically get back all the results of the query even
if
: there are 20 million results or for efficiency do we physically get
back

the Hits class fetches back the first N result documents (where N is 100
think) and then it fetches more and more as needed if you ask for more.
generally speaking Hits works fine for simple pagination applications,
but if you are intented on walking deep down the list of ordred results,
i would avoid it.

-Hoss

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl - (see
http://bluepages.wsatkins.co.uk/?6875772)

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If you are not
the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise
expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in this communication shall be legally binding.

The ultimate parent company of the Atkins Group is WS Atkins plc.  Registered in England No.
1885586.  Registered Office Woodcote Grove, Ashley Road, Epsom, Surrey KT18 5BW.