lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kainth, Sachin" <Sachin.Kai...@atkinsglobal.com>
Subject Returning only a small set of results
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:10:24 GMT
Hi all,

A question about efficiency and the internal workings of the Hits class.
When we make a call to IndexSearcher's search method thus:

Hits hits = searcher.Search(query);

Do we actually, physically get back all the results of the query even if
there are 20 million results or for efficiency do we physically get back
the first few results and if we then go and use (traverse, display
whatever) these hits then we physically get back more and more as and
when we need them.  It just seems that if we called the search method
and millions of records came back that this would be highly inefficient.
Also, if we do physically get back everything then is there a way of
ensuring we only get back a few at a time?

Thanks

Sachin

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If you are not
the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise
expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in this communication shall be legally binding.

The ultimate parent company of the Atkins Group is WS Atkins plc.  Registered in England No.
1885586.  Registered Office Woodcote Grove, Ashley Road, Epsom, Surrey KT18 5BW.