lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kainth, Sachin" <Sachin.Kai...@atkinsglobal.com>
Subject Fields
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:11:15 GMT
Hi all,

I have a few question regarding indexing documents.

1. With my experience of indexing documents with lucene so far I have
done things like:

Doc.Add(Field.Text("album", Album));

Where Album is a string representing an album name.  Now with this sort
of indexing what I do is a search such as:

"album:Thriller"

a) Does this mean that I cannot do an search across all fields  by
submitting the query:

"Thriller"?  In other words by submitting this query would my code
search all fields?

b) Is there a way in which I can index elements of a document without
naming the field.  What would the impact of such a use of the indexing
capabilities of Lucene be?

2. Is there a limit to the number of
a) named fields per document that I can store
b) non-named fields per document that I can store

3.

a) Is it possible in Lucene to conduct searches that are very complex
such as:

((album = Thriller AND artist = (Michael OR Jackson)) OR (date between X
AND Y)) AND (label = sony OR Epic)   etc...

b) For such a query what are the performance penalties compared to a
simple search involving 1 term?

Cheers

Sachin

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If you are not
the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise
expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in this communication shall be legally binding.

The ultimate parent company of the Atkins Group is WS Atkins plc.  Registered in England No.
1885586.  Registered Office Woodcote Grove, Ashley Road, Epsom, Surrey KT18 5BW.