lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Peter W." <pe...@marketingbrokers.com>
Subject Re: Soliciting Design Thoughts on Date Searching
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2007 21:38:56 GMT
Hello,

There are a few ways to solve this but no
Date extraction filter I know of. Adding
a hundred fields for each Lucene doc
seems bloated.

First, get your text out of the various
source documents (.doc,.pdf,.html) using
available tools out there described in the
Lucene in Action book.

It sounds like you know Perl, so next
try regexes to pull out dates from the
text using java.util.regex and make sure to
remove extra whitespace.

Put your clean date Strings into a java TreeMap
or TreeSet collection to eliminate duplicates.

Finally, loop thru the collection adding items
to a StringBuffer delimited by commas, then make
one long String (holding all your dates) and add
to the Lucene doc as one Field.Text.

You might be able to set that Field to indexed, but not
stored to save space.

Regards,

Peter W.