lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Peter W." <pe...@marketingbrokers.com>
Subject Re: Using Lucene - Design Question
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:39:39 GMT
Hello,

If you have experience using XML and doing web services requests
Solr is what you need. It's production quality code and evolving
quickly. It has a remarkable amount of extra functionality.

For CORBA type programmers, go with terracotta. It looks to go a
step further beyond sharing objects to sharing/clustering JVMs.

The RMI capabilities of RemoteSearchable within Lucene seem to
have been developed before Solr gained traction. I tried taking
some working RMI code and writing an inner class with Lucene but
it didn't feel robust.

Research on the mailing lists brings up older file copying
techniques based on synching the indexes with rsync. Probably
still in use, it looks to be an old-school solution better
addressed by Solr.

If you are mirroring your index in a database, there are some
combined Lucene/db update methods available:

1. mysql replication - data on the master is continuously
updated and replicates behind the scenes to remote slaves.
Lucene/db indexing code on each remote slave is a cron job.

2. Lucene indexing application on remote boxes makes network
call to central database, getting/indexing new data and reloading
it's own local ramdir.

For someone trying to get work done, use incremental updates to
one local index first. Then explore writing to multiple indexes and
reading them using MultiSearcher.

Afterward, use HTTP-based updates/requests with Solr to scale out.

Hope that helps.

Peter W.