lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Merge factor problem,
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:21:47 GMT
Sairaj, see http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/03/05/lucene.html

Increase your maxBufferedDocs.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Sairaj Sunil <sairaj.sunil@gmail.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Friday, February 9, 2007 11:14:50 AM
Subject: Merge factor problem,

Hi all,
I have increased the merge factor from 10 to 50. I thought the indexing
performance will be better. But the time taken taken to index is more than
the time taken for the merge factor of 10. The documentation and some
articles say that the time taken to index will improve if the merge factor
is increased.
I have changed the merge factors to 50, 100, 1000. I have left the
minMergeDocs to be the default value for all the cases. The time taken to
index same number of documents increased in a linear fashion, which is
exactly opposite according to the info I have read.
Is this the correct behavior. In which cases this behavior happens?

Regards
--
Sairaj Sunil