lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From dmitri <ev...@mail.ru>
Date Sun, 18 Feb 2007 21:52:58 GMT

We have search (no update) web app on 2 dual core CPU machine (2x Dual Core
AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 280) with 8G of RAM. Lucene 2.0 is used.
My index is optimized and non compound, 9G holding 6.5 M documents.
Search includes term queries, range filters and sorts.

When I use single IndexSearcher and search with multiple threads CPU are
partially idle.

To have 100% CPU utilization I have to create several IndexSearchers.

With org.apache.lucene.store.MMapDirectory throughput is better but I still
have to create multiple IndexSearcher instances to have 100% CPU
utilization.

With multiple IndexSearchers search times are better under multithreaded
load.
Following is average search times (in ms) for different number of parallel
threads and IndexSearchers:
concurrent  1 searcher  5 searchers 10 searchers
threads
1                  180                   177              167
2                   201                  184              174
4                   241                  197              188
5                  339                    236              220
10                663                    454              420
20              1172                    917              880
50               2599                 2143            1912
100             4887                 4056              3775
Maximum search times for smaller number of searchers differ in 2-3 times.

Search is CPU bound (no IO wait is observed).
Is there any way to better utilize the server other than create several
IndexSearchers?
I need to squeeze as much performance as possible out of the machine as we
have strict performance requirements.