lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From maureen tanuwidjaja <autumn_musi...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Building lucene index using 100 Gb Mobile HardDisk
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:47:22 GMT
Oh is it?I didn't know about that...so Is it means I cant use this Mobile HDD..

Damien McCarthy <damien.mccarthy@propylon.com> wrote:  FAT 32 imposes a lower file size
limitation than NTF. Attempts to create
files greater that 4Gig on FAT32 will throw error you are seeing.

-----Original Message-----
From: maureen tanuwidjaja [mailto:autumn_musique@yahoo.com]
Sent: 01 February 2007 14:22
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Building lucene index using 100 Gb Mobile HardDisk

Dear All,

  I was indexing 660,000 XML documents.The unoptimized index file was
successfully built in about 17 hrs...This index file resides in my D  drive
which has the free space 38 Gb.This space is insufficient for  optimizing
the index file -->I read Lucene documentation said about  its requirement of
substantial temporary free disk space

  Hence,I now put my index file in the Mobile HardDisk which has the
capacity of 100 Gb,and restart indexing.

  However...there is an exception saying that :

  java.io.IOException: There is not enough space on the disk

  when I index the 120,000th documents

  It is a pretty weird thing!!...I keep thinking what is happening...Is
there anything to do with the file system used?my D drive use NTFS file
system whilst this Mobile HDD use FAT32...

  Any comments/suggestion pls?

  THanks and best Regards,
  Maureen