lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From mark harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Multiword Highlighting
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 16:21:31 GMT
Hi Mark,
Have you looked at the returned spans from any other potential problem scenarios (other than
the 3 word one you suggest) e.g. complex nested "SpanOr" or "SpanNot" logic?

>>Or there just may not be much interest

There's certainly interest on my part on seeing this merged with the existing highlighter
(to include the option of fragmenting). Unfortunately available time can be an issue for me.
Can you attach your code to a new Jira entry so I can have a play?
I imagine if I do combine it with the existing Highlighter it will break the existing API
so would probably have to create a new SpansBasedHighlighter.

Cheers,
Mark

----- Original Message ----
From: Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Friday, 2 February, 2007 3:58:01 PM
Subject: Re: Multiword Highlighting

I have been away from this for a week, but my interest has started
building again. The whole spans implementation seems to work great for
finding the actual hits but there is a somewhat annoying limitation:
because I am using Spans it seems I can only either highlight the entire
found span or just the first and last token of the found span. First and
last token works great for any span involving two query tokens (the only
type I am concerned with at the moment), but a 3 word span would not
have the middle word highlighted (unless you highlight the whole darn
span). Other than that, the implementation is pretty darn simple and
seems to work well. It wouldn't be too hard to set the option of
complete span highlighting or first and last token.

Still interested in considering this for Contrib? Perhaps you want to
wait for someone to merge the idea with the current Contrib highlighter
(add fragments) as Mark H. suggested in his last email on the subject.
Or there just may not be much interest -- the other recent highlighters
haven't really gone anywhere that I have seen (though I don't think they
attempted 'actual' hit highlighting).

If there is interest, suggested package name?

Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> For what it's worth Mark (Miller), there *is* a need for "just highlight the query terms
without trying to get excerpts" functionality - something a la Google cache (different colours...mmm,
nice).  I've had people ask me for this before, and I know I could use this functionality,
too.  Please contrib to contrib/ if you end up working on this.